Monday, March 24, 2008

Shards Of Music

Track Listing
1. Paramore - Born For This
2. The Romones - Punishment Fits the Crime
3. Anti-Flag - Until It Happens To You
4. Catch 22 - Bloomfield Ave
5. Thursday - War All The Time
6. Jason Mraz - Curbside Prophet
7. Hellogoodbye - Oh, It Is Love
8. Fall Out Boy - You're Crashing But You're No Wave
9. Death Cab For Cutie - Crooked Teeth
10. Coheed & Cambria - Three Evils
11. Cartel - Burn This City
12. Britney Spears - I Love Rock n' Roll
13. Bayside - Devotion & Desire
14. Augustana - Lonley People
15. Journey - Midnight Train
16. The Rocket Summer - So Much Love

For my creative project I chose to research poet and musician, Ed Sanders. He caught my eye during the film because it was mentioned he was known as one of the founders of punk rock music. Music is something that defiantly pulls me in and keeps in interested. Ed Sanders did just that when I began my research process about his life. Not only was he a poet and a musician but was also an active social activist, novelist, and publisher. He was also part of the beat generation that brought the likes of Jack Kerouac who was a fellow writer. In New York City’s Greenwich Village he wrote his first poem inside a jail cell for protesting, the poem was called “Poem from Jail.” He kept a public journal and opened the Peace Eye Bookstore which was a place for fellow radicals. He was apart of a band called The Fugs which lead to the formation of the genre “punk rock” music. He currently lives in Woodstock, New York where he publishes the Woodstock Journal and lives with his wife Miriam.
I went about with this research process by first looking up as much as I could find on the life of Ed Sanders. I wanted to know more about his influence in the music world and also some of his most famous works of literature. It was not easy for me to find much on his writing because most was only found in novels at the library. So I focused mostly on his musical side, which interested me the most. The Fugs produced 8 albums in total on two different record labels. Also Sanders four solo albums he produced. Now in his older ages he designs musical instruments and contraptions fellow musicians can use to better their music.
For my creative project I decided to make a mix album featuring some of the artists that have influenced my life and apply their songs to the life of Sanders and some of the titles of his poems that he wrote. I tried to include some fan favorites such as the Ramones and Catch 22’s. However at the same time I felt I needed to include a song by Anti-Flag which most people would consider punk for today’s generation. Some of my personal favorites such as Fall Out Boy and Augustana were included because they went along with some of the poem titles Sander came up with. Yes Britney Spears was also included because back in Sander’s day, rock n roll was The Fugs, so what’s better then I love rock n roll. Curbside Prophet by Jason Mraz was included because it reminded me of what I think the beat generation would be like, crazy raps that changed the world. Cartel and Death Cab For Cutie were added because I felt that most people from Sander’s could relate the lyrics of the songs which I also thought would tie into the beat generation. Hellogoodbye, The Rocket Summer, and Journey were added because I know during the beat generation love was a big thing for young people, plus Journey is classic. All other artists and songs were added because they related to the topics in Sanders poems and went well with the other songs in the mix.
My piece simply was created to describe the musical side of Sanders life and generation as he tried to write and play music. I wanted to get across my views on his poems and also incorporate some of myself into the creative side. Music is something I love and I though a mix CD would be perfect for this particular man because he is in fact a man who changed the way young people view music today. Punk Rock is one of the most popular genres today and too think that one man and his way with words would capture the attention of future generations to come. He is truly someone I have grown to admire and will remember when I research more in the music field. Maybe one day I will start a genre of my own music thanks to his inspiration in my life.

No comments: